Installing the SmartEncrypt desktop client
Before you start... Before you install the SmartEncrypt software, check the following:
- You have a SmartEncrypt account - if not, ask your IT administrator to create one for you.
- Your computer meets the system requirements:
- Windows 10 version 1809 or later (64-bit)
- Framework 4.6 or later (If you run regular Windows Updates, it is very likely that .NET Framework is already installed and up to date.
- Recommended min 4GB RAM
- You have local Administrator rights on your computer (required to be able to install the software drivers)
SmartEncrypt is not supported on Windows 10 Insider Previews. If you experience difficulties due to running an Insider Preview, you should revert to a stable version of Windows 10 before attempting to continue. Preview Windows versions can cause apps to become unstable or unusable without warning.
Follow these steps to install the SmartEncrypt desktop client for Windows.
1. Download the desktop client
- Download the latest version of SmartEncrypt for Windows
- Save the SmartEncrypt .msi installer file to a location on your computer where you can easily find it again. Recommended locations include your Desktop or Downloads folder.
2. Install the client
- Double click the installer file you downloaded (or simply click Run when the download completes) and follow the instructions in the Wizard.
- You may be asked to allow software published by rhipe Australia Pty Ltd to make changes to your device, in which case click OK to allow installation of a required component of the SmartEncrypt software. The installation may also temporarily close some applications, including your Windows Explorer. After installation, these applications will be restarted automatically.
3. Log into your account
Enter your account credentials to log in to SmartEncrypt.
- If you are a corporate single sign-on user (using Azure Active Directory):
- select the “Login using company credentials (SSO)” checkbox;
- enter the "Domain" and "Application ID" as provided by your Administrator (in some cases this may have been pre-populated for you).
- For non-single sign-on accounts enter your email address and password
- Click LOGIN
Windows Desktop Client Changelog
Desktop Client for Windows The following lists updates to the SmartEncrypt desktop client for Windows. Additional information: Known Issues & Limitations Installing the SmartEncrypt Desktop Client Version 1.7.1184 Hotfix Release (2021-10-15) Fixed: ...
macOS Desktop Client Changelog
Desktop client for macOS The following lists updates to the SmartEncrypt desktop client for macOs. Additional information: Known Issues & Limitations Installing the SmartEncrypt Desktop Client for macOS Version 1.2.00 (2021-06-16) - Beta Release ...
Known Issues & Limitations - Windows
Known Issues Microsoft Office Encrypted Microsoft Word and PowerPoint files not opening in desktop app from SharePoint Online or Teams When attempting to open an encrypted Microsoft Word or Powerpoint via the desktop app from SharePoint Online via a ...
Unauthorised Access error when trying to login the SmartEncrypt Console
Only certain types of users have access to the SmartEncrypt Management Console, these being: System Administrators; General Administrators; and Helpdesk Users (Read-only) Standard Users have SmartEncrypt client access only and will encounter an ...
Sharing files with non-SmartEncrypt users with Protect and Share
SmartEncrypt "Protect and Share" enables you to securely share sensitive files with recipients outside your organisation. Once a PIN is defined, files are encrypted and converted to an HTML file protected by the PIN. Recipients are able to then ...