How to send log files to SmartEncrypt Support
Log files capture all internal events while SmartEncrypt is running. Technical support may ask you to send log files to help us troubleshoot issues such as unexpected behaviour, bugs and incompatibilities with other software.
The SmartEncrypt clients have an option in the user interface for bundling the log files in one compressed archive file and sending the packaged files to technical support. This option makes it easy to supply us with the latest log files.
Sending logs via the SmartEncrypt client for Windows
- Locate the SmartEncrypt icon in the system tray and right-click to reveal the context menu. How this menu appears will depend on your user type and whether or not you are logged into the client.
- Choose the SmartEncrypt Support menu option
- If you are logged in, click the Send logs button. If you are not logged in, first enter the email address associated with your SmartEncrypt user account and then click Send Logs button
- The logs may take some time to compile and send, depending on the size of the logs and the speed of your internet connection, however you can leave this window open to continue uploading in the background.
Good to know...
- You do not need to change the logging level unless instructed by support. In most cases, the default Warning level is sufficient
- If tech support does ask you to change the logging level, remember to change it back again once you've provided your logs.
Sending logs manually
If you are unable to send the logs via the client interface, it is possible to send the compressed log file either via email or our custom upload page. To do this:
- Navigate to your Documents folder in File Explorer
- Locate the log archive - it will be of a format similar to the following. If you have more than one file, choose the latest one unless instructed otherwise.
- In your web browser, go to https://console.smartencrypt.com/send/logs
- Enter your email address and attach the log archive you located in step 2.
- Click SUBMIT to start the upload. You can move to another browser tab while the file is uploading. It will depend on your internet connection speed and the size of the log archive as to how long the upload takes.
- If you are still unable to upload the file successfully, please contact technical support for further assistance.
Log collection via remote session
There may be some occasions where you are unable to generate the log archive. If this happens, our support team will work with you to manually extract the various logs we require and arrange to send them to us. This usually happens via a scheduled remote session.
SmartEncrypt Login Expired
Why have I been logged out of SmartEncrypt? In order to protect your encrypted files, the SmartEncrypt software regularly verifies whether or not you are authorised to access your files against the remote server. If you are disconnected from the ...
Sharing files with non-SmartEncrypt users with Protect and Share
SmartEncrypt "Protect and Share" enables you to securely share sensitive files with recipients outside your organisation. Once a PIN is defined, files are encrypted and converted to an HTML file protected by the PIN. Recipients are able to then ...
Using SmartEncrypt with MYOB PDF Manager
MYOB PDF Manager uses a licence file on a network to track instances of the software used in real-time. Due to the way in which SmartEncrypt third-party libraries work, SmartEncrypt installation on Windows machines causes a slight change in ...
SmartEncrypt Service Error when launching SmartEncrypt
I received a SmartEncrypt Service Error when launching SmartEncrypt If you have recently installed or upgraded SmartEncrypt without restarting your device, you will likely receive the following error when you try to start the software. This occurs ...
Working with encrypted files in Microsoft Office Web Apps
Microsoft Office 365 web apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.) are not supported by SmartEncrypt. When you open an encrypted office file with an Office web app, you will receive a warning that the app is unable to open the document. To overcome ...