How to manually encrypt and decrypt files and folders
Encrypting files and folders
While certain locations will have been defined by your organisation's IT administrators to govern automatic file encryption, it is also possible to encrypt files on an ad-hoc basis on your device if your user permissions allow.
To do this:
- Navigate to the file or folder you wish to encrypt.
- Right-click on the file or folder and select the SmartEncrypt >> Encrypt option from the context menu.
- Click Start and wait for the encryption process to be completed
- Once complete you can close
Good to know...
- You can also select multiple files and encrypt them at once, rather than encrypting each file individually.
- Even if you have more than one Encryption Key assigned to you, you can only use the Primary Key for ad-hoc encryption.
- When you encrypt a folder, it is specific to the device you are using. If you encrypt a folder in a synchronised location, the encrypted folder and its content will be synced to any device syncing the same folder, but new files will not be encrypted automatically when when they are added.
Decrypting files and folders
To decrypt files, follow the same process as for encrypting files and folders, but choose Decrypt from the context menu.
Good to know...
- You cannot manually decrypt files or folders governed by an Encryption Rule, even if you have the correct Encryption Key assigned to you.
How to recognise encrypted files and folders
SmartEncrypt encrypts files automatically wherever there is an Encryption Rule in place. This means that any file added to, edited or created in a location governed by an Encryption Rule will be encrypted on-the-fly. Recognising encrypted files ...
Working with encrypted files in SharePoint and Teams
Because SharePoint is is a web-based document management system, SmartEncrypt can't communicate directly with files stored SharePoint. SharePoint uses a different form of communication for file operations to that of file operations on a local ...
Using Offline Access to access files without an Internet connection
To ensure sure you are authorised to access files on your device, the SmartEncrypt software regularly performs encryption policy and user authorisation verification checks against the SmartEncrypt remote server. For this reason, an internet ...
Sharing files with non-SmartEncrypt users with Protect and Share
SmartEncrypt "Protect and Share" enables you to securely share sensitive files with recipients outside your organisation. Once a PIN is defined, files are encrypted and converted to an HTML file protected by the PIN. Recipients are able to then ...
Office365 Search fails to return encrypted files in search results
Files encrypted by SmartEncrypt are encoded (scrambled) and as such, Office365 Search is unable to read the files to allow users to search for a file by its contents. In order to optimise search for encrypted files, we recommend that you configure ...